Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Tax Planning
- Corporate Reorganizations
- Estate Planning
- International Tax Planning
- Mergers & Acquisitions / Divestitures
- Tax Dispute Resolution
Doug S. EwensQC
Moodys Tax Law
Delivering excellent client service has been my unwavering objective throughout my career. Clients deserve that.
Bold. Innovative. Empowering. These are just some of the words used to describe Doug during his long and distinguished career. Over four decades, Doug has developed a stellar reputation among colleagues and clients alike. He recognizes that tax laws are continually evolving and thrives on the challenge of solving new problems.
Doug grew up in Toronto and played a wide variety of sports, including hockey. His team’s standout goalie was Ken Dryden, who went on to win six Stanley Cups with the Montreal Canadiens. Doug quickly learned the value of being part of a talented team.
Doug inherited his interest in income tax from his father, who was head of tax at Imperial Oil. When Doug enrolled at Osgoode Hall Law School, he loaded up on tax courses and his future was set. He felt incredibly fortunate to have Arthur Scace – a celebrated authority on income tax – as one of his professors. Scace recognized Doug’s potential, and hired him on at his law firm McCarthy and McCarthy in Toronto (later renamed McCarthy Tétrault), following graduation. Doug always remembers his mentor’s advice – “Do excellent work and establish a strong reputation.” It wasn’t long before Doug was establishing his reputation in the field of tax law.
After venturing west to Calgary with McCarthy and McCarthy to work on numerous oil and gas transactions in the late 1970s, Doug and two fellow partners set up the firm’s first office outside of Ontario. It wasn’t long before he established himself as a leader in the Canadian tax community. In 2013, Doug joined PwC Law LLP to establish its Calgary office and practised tax law there as Counsel.
In his spare time, Doug enjoys spending time with his wife, Janet, and his extended family, which includes four children, their spouses, and ten grandchildren.
- LL.B Osgoode Hall Law School – 1969
- Bar Admission - Ontario – 1971
- Bar Admission - Alberta - 1981
- Canadian Tax Foundation, Past Chair & Governor
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for contributions to the Canadian Tax Foundation
- Lexpert Zenith Award in recognition of leadership through innovation
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the practice of Tax Law
- Canadian Tax Foundation Lifetime Contribution Award
- Euromoney Legal Media Group's current Guide to the World's Leading Tax Advisors
- Who's Who Legal Canada
- International Tax Review's World Tax, a guide to the world's leading tax firms
- International Tax Review named Doug one of the top 10 tax advisors who influence the choice of outside firms by in-house tax directors in North America
- Co-author– "Our response to the CRA's position on creditor-proofing reorganizations – part 1", Canadian Accountant, June 25, 2021
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Tax Journal
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- American Bar Association